I'm Like an Autumn Rose....


In the late autumn of my life, I want to be like this rose that (along with a few others) persists in  blooming in late November.  Some of the foliage has given up, but not this flower!

To be sure, some of my "foliage" has given up!  Youthful energy, skin tone, natural hair color, and memory are a few things that have gone...but NONE of those keep me from blooming beautifully.

The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God.  They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, "the Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him."  (Psalm 92:12-15).

Physically, I will "bloom" using the strength God gives me to exercise - walking as energetically as I can; using the rebounder as often as I can.  I will remind myself that I eat to live and not live to eat!  I will limit the quantity of healthy food I eat.  These are such basic, simple things for an autumn rose such as I.

Spiritually and mentally, I will flourish also.  I will read, listen, and learn.  I will attempt new things. I will seek out the company of like-minded Christians.  I will steadily increase my communication with the Heavenly Father (prayer). I will read and meditate on God's Word.   By His grace and planted firmly in Him, I will proclaim:  "He IS my Rock!  I am his Autumn Rose."

6 comments:

  1. Ah the autumn of our lives. I love it. I have learned more these past few years than in my whole life. I do believe that we open ourselves up to life's treasures when we reach the Autumn of our lives. Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post....I love the knowledge and experience that comes to us during this season as I edge closer to the winter of my life....it doesn't bother me as I love life and all of it's seasons.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,

    You are a delightful and inspiring Rose!
    Thank you for such helpful hints on how to stay joyful and delight our Heavenly Father.

    The process of aging isn't easy but it sure can be rewarding!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernie, If Diana is "autumn" I guess that does make us "winter", doesn't it? Funny how one loses track of the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, these are beautiful and encouraging thoughts! Hard as I tried to hold on to summer, I have to concede I'm (at least) in the autumn of my life! As you pointed out, we can still bear fruit in old age--what a blessed truth. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete